1 whole octopuses weighing 1.5 kg (600gr when boiled)
200 gr pancetta cubes
600 gr diced potatoes
400 gr diced fennel
2000 gr fish stock
60 gr butter
3 sage leaves
Soup spoon olive oil
Teaspoon of Maldon salt
Teaspoon of table salt
For the octopus
1. Place water in a pot, add the sage leaves and bring it to boil. Add octopus and boil for about 45 minutes. Remove from heat and leave it in the water for another 15 minutes
2. Drain the water and chop all tentacles in half. Set them aside
3. Place olive oil in a frying pan and heat it. Add pancetta cubes until golden brown, remove from heat and set aside
For the creamy potatoes
4. Place the butter in a deep frying pan and heat. When melted, add the diced potatoes and the fennel. Once potatoes are cooked, cover them with the fish stock and bring it to boil, until potatoes are very soft.
5. Drain the mixed and blend it with a hand blender and add salt to taste.
At the moment of serving, heat a spoon of olive oil in a frying pan and grill the octopus.
Place in a soup plate some of the hot creamy potatoes with fennel, add grilled octopus on top and spread some pancetta cubes around. As a decoration, place some chopped sage leaves. At the end, add a little bit of extra virgin olive oil, and a hint of Maldon salt taste.